Friday, May 21, 2010

Higher Quality?

Talking about studying overseas today.
I believe, many Malaysians looking forward to study overseas.
And yes, many of them are studying overseas.

Most of the local people wanted to study overseas,
especially those "English speaking" countries,
like SG, NZ, Canada, Australia or other countries as you can name it.
Reasons? Most of them proclaim that the university from these country requires higher qualification,
so those student who are able to enter/ graduate from these countries higher education institutes will be regarded as "Better Quality" students.
In another words, those students who hold the certificate of these "English speaking" countries's university have "higher standards" compared to those who are from the local institutes.

I doubted this concept.
First, I do not agree that the quality of the student is depend on the Uni they entered or graduate.
I know people studying in UK and US.
From what I see and what I have heard,
Their some of their syllabus is much easier than Malaysia syllabus.
I was an A level student, and I have seen people failed their STPM got straight A's in A level.
And I have seen people failed their A level papers got straight A's in UK university foundation years.
Tell me do you meant this by higher quality of their university compare to us?

Second thing, do all these students enter these "English speaking" countries Universities because they are really good enough?
Hahaha, I don't think so.
From what I see, most of them able to go study in these universities is because of MONEY.
Yes, ($.$)
I'm came from a private local college and I know,
the not-so-good results students are able to enter into college because they have money.
and yes, same goes to those so called "higher standard" universities.
I have seen people having wayyyyyy BAD results from A level went Australia to study psychology,
and they can't even speak and write proper english.
Those straight A students in STPM who wanted to do the same course?
They are given to those don't-know-what subject to be studied local universities,
and due to money concern they had to do it for their future cause they have no other choices.
Haha, what a big joke.

Same goes to me,
I did quite bad for my SPM.
But because my father can afford me to study in college,
I manage to take Cambridge GCE A-level,
and get in to private institution to do my medical course.
Some of my friend who did straight A in SPM, and got Straight A in STPM,
made it up all the way to local university by getting government loan, I more proud of them than myself.
Because they really did it by their own capability.

I do not write this to criticise those who are studying in/ graduate from those so called "higher standard" countries university.
Many of my friends do get good results in their papers and got scholarship to study overseas.
I just want people to change their concept,
please don't look down of those people who came out as a Malaysia Education product.
The quality of a student does not depends on where or which university they came from,
so judge them by their capability instead, you will see the difference.

[Cert is just a paper to show that XXX have completed the course]

2 comments: