Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A life full of engineering

I'm now struggling with the Ocular disease exam tomorrow.
Just wanna take a rest and relax.
And I start to think back.
I wanted to be an engineer during my high school time.
It was like an instinct, telling me I should be an engineer.

Even before I start studying physics and add maths,
I already developed my interest in engineering.
In the Form 2 maths,
there's a chapter where we are all require to match the schematic drawing of an opened paper box construction and the final product. Sometimes we are required to draw it.
I don't know how to explain it, but it looks like this:

I'm always the fastest in the class to match or draw it.
Then after that in the subject Kemahiran Hidup (KH a.k.a Daily Living Skills) in form 3, I was assigned to major in the technical instead of the cooking and sewing like other girls.
We study about engine, motor, carpentry, electronic and electric, plumbing and housing etc.
We are also required to do simple Lukisan Kejuruteraan (Engineering drawing),
using the T-tuler and Big board.
Also almost everytime, i'm the fastest person,
or if not the second fastest person to finish the drawing correctly.
In PMR I score A for my KH, which is less common for girls to obtain an A in KH major in technical division.

And so I determined to take LK (lukisan kejuruteraan a.k.a Engineering Drawing) and TK(techikal kejuruteraan a.k.a  technical Engineering) for my extra subject in SPM.
However, due to the subject limit set by the government, I was not allow to take both of the subject.
They allow me to only register for one of it as an extra subject.
But in my opinion LK and Tk should come together to make engineering a whole.
Taking either one of it will make it incomplete, so in the end, I gave up both.
I tell myself I can still do engineering in higher level of education, if I master my sciences and math well.

Then I came to my Pre-U, A level.
And I told myself, I'm gonna do engineering, so I gave up the subject the dislike the most out of the 3 sciences, BIOLOGY.
I do Physics, Chem and Maths for my A levels. And in math, we can choose to major in statistics or mechanics. Teacher suggest physics students to take mechanics (as most of us are determine to become an engineer) and bio students should take statistics (as biostatistics is a major thing in medic field). So, as expected, I chose mechanics as my major on top of the general maths. Happily scoring A for it. =D

Okay, after all these stuff, finally come to bachelor degree.
I end up studying in optometrist.
Stuck with the biology I told Myself I will never want to do it again,
 stuck with the Biostats that I hated so much, even more than I hate calculus.
Wondering why? Because I love my parents. =)
In the end I had a hard time studying in university compared to the other classmates,
just because I has limited biology knowledge as I don't have biology background for my pre-U.
It's like a form 5 student study university level of biology right after SPM. =.=

Talk about the people around me.
My father studied electronic and electrical engineering.
He wanted to be an engineer.
But because of so many things happened, he unable to continue studying it.

During my highschool time, the closest senior and junior around me,
the good friends in BSMM, mostly took LK and TK as major,
and most of them are now studying engineering.
When we hang out, it's like I'm stuck in between,
 with a great passion and interest of what they are studying,
but not really understanding it because I am a biology student,
 and has limited knowledge of what they were discussing.

Then course mates in A levels, in the physics and mechanics maths class, most of them are now studying engineering, but I'm the only person who is doing biology. =.=

Never mind, then I came to PJ to study optometrist, besides my coursemates, my best friends in KL are engineers. A big bunch of engineers. My life in KL is either hang out with my coursemates, or these engineers.
Then after I fell in love with my current boyfriend. We become couple, and we stay together. I know I will marry this guy. And the important thing is that, he is an mechanical engineer. So I know I'm going to spend the rest of my life with an engineer.

I have not much female friends, the two best female friends are Carol and Xin Yi. Carol is studying accountancy and Xin Yi is pursuing music. But the fact is that, both of them are also dating with engineers. Currently in a stable relationship, so it's very likely that both of them are gonna stuck with engineers for the rest of their life too. =.=

I am 19 years old this year, turning 20 in 10 days time.
This is my life, that full of engineering up to this point.
I'm not sure about the future, and not sure where is it leading me to.
But one thing I want to say is, I never regret for not being an engineer.
But I do love engineering and I am happy to be with a bunch of engineering people throughout my life.

Time to continue study, time to go back to biology.
=)

2 comments: